Here are some of the top FAQ's that we get asked at Hunts Marine.

1. Do I need a boat licence?
In NSW you need a general boat driving licence if you operate a power-driven vessel for recreation on NSW waters, at a speed of 10 knots (18.5km/h) or more. If you drive a personal watercraft (PWC) at any speed you must have a PWC driving licence. You can find out more or apply for a licence at Roads & Maritime Services.

2. How do I get a boat licence?
In NSW anyone 12 yrs or over can get a boat licence, you’ll need to provide evidence of practical boating (logbook) experience and successfully complete the general boat licence knowledge test. You can find out more here.

3. NSW boating restrictions: Can I go boating?
You can go boating during Covid-19 & all recreational boating is permitted in NSW and the ACT. People should boat locally and remember to practice good hygiene.
Skippers must also remember their other safety responsibilities regarding safety equipment, alcohol consumption, keeping a proper lookout and proceeding at a safe speed. Further information about what you can and can’t do on shore is available from the NSW Government here.

4. Boat Safety
Boat Safety is always our number 1 priority and boating carries with it many responsibilities to yourself, your passengers and others on the water.
Make sure that you are licensed if necessary and familiar with the rules and regulations. Always tell someone when you are going out and what time you expect to be back. Always check the weather forecast before leaving and don’t go if the weather looks unstable.
The boat capacity plate gives a guide to the maximum number of passengers in good conditions. Always make allowances if unfavourable weather conditions are predicted. In adverse situations such as crossing a bar your boat’s maximum load may need to be considerably reduced.
Ensure you have regulation safety gear ( and if you have any questions about Boat Safety our team will be happy to help

5. Do you offer Boat Financing?
Hunts Marine can arrange boat finance for new and used boating package of any brand combination as well as new engine re-powers. YMF's goal is to help you purchase the products you have always wanted to make your dream a reality. Apart from competitive rates, you also benefit from a fixed interest rate and repayments, flexible loan terms available from 2 to 7 years and the ability to finance accessories and approved insurances.

6. Will I need boat insurance?
Insurance is not compulsory when owning a boat, however you are strongly advised to take out a comprehensive policy to protect both you, your boat and other people. Get a quote NOW at

7. Do you offer Boat Servicing?
Hunts Marine offers quality boat servicing and genuine spare parts for the brands of Evinrude, Johnson, Yamaha, Mercury, Mariner and Mercruiser. If you are looking for outboard spare parts, you can shop online or call (02) 9546-1324
When it comes time to service your outboard or sterndrive it's worth calling Hunts Marine. All our mechanics are factory trained and we have all the latest tools and software.

8. How often does my boat need to be serviced?
The general rule is every 12 months or 100hrs running. While there isn’t a one size fits all approach and each brand can vary slightly, we recommend servicing your boat regularly to make sure it looks good, keeps its value and is safe to take on the water. For more information on Servicing your boat visit

9. Where can I sell my boat?
Sell your boat to Hunts Marine. We’re always on the lookout for good quality trailer boats of all makes, models and sizes. We buy boats for cash and all settlements are made into your bank account within 24 hours of your boat coming into one of our yards. We also have a mobile valuer/buyer that can come to you - FREE. Find out more here.